ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Directly From Copy Pool

1997-04-18 07:08:14
Subject: Re: Restoring Directly From Copy Pool
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 07:08:14 -0400
David,

        I just went thru a disaster recovery test where we recovered our ADSM
server at a disaster recovery facility.  The server recovery went well.
After building the AIX 4.1.4 system and formatting the ADSM database and
recovery log volumes, it took 50 minutes to restore our 10 GB database
which I thought was great. (Note - I'd highly recommend the DRM feature
of ADSM - helped a lot with the recovery process).  After bringing the
ADSM server  up, we went ahead and marked our onsite storage pools as
'destroyed' and then tried to recover a client from the offsite storage
pool.  While this did work, we ran in to a problem where ADSM would
generate messages (ANR1421W and ANS4118I)  on the client and server
indicating that the onsite pool had been destroyed.  I believe these
messages came up for every file who's onsite copy was in a disk
storagepool as of the time of the database backup that was restored.  I
don't think they came up for files where the onsite copy was already on
tape (Note - I had taken a full backup the night before for the client
we were testing so most of the files were in the disk storagepool when
the backup storagepool was run).  While the data restored okay from the
offsite storage pool, ADSM paused between every file being restored and
this slowed the restore process down to a crawl.  APAR IX67738 was
opened yesterday on this problem.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com