ADSM-L

Disaster recovery

1997-04-16 17:27:36
Subject: Disaster recovery
From: Julie Phinney <julphinn AT EMPHESYS.E-MAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 17:27:36 EDT
I need help again..
I did a recovery from offsite tapes test last week.  Just a little
over 6 GB, restored in 4 hours, using 57 tapes.  MVS server to a
Novell client. Seems to me, acceptable numbers from non-collocated
tapes.
And now management is concerned (still thinking they like ArcServe)
that what happens if we lose a whole location, the one with the
mainframe, and 50 servers.  What is the limit to how many can go at
once.  Well, I've specified a maxsessions at 100, but perhaps the
practical maximum is less than that??   It seems to me our limit would
be tape drives and perhaps network bandwidth before the host-cpu limit.
Has anyone addressed this before?  In the event of a real disaster, and
you lose a whole pile of servers, how does ADSM beat ArcServe?
Where are our bottlenecks?
Thanks for any feedback!
Julie Phinney
JULPHINN @ EMPHESYS.E-MAIL.COM