ADSM-L

RS/6000 using parallel attached 3490E tape

1997-04-15 17:23:15
Subject: RS/6000 using parallel attached 3490E tape
From: Larry Robertson <Larry_Robertson AT COMPUWARE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:23:15 EDT
Hello,

I am having trouble implementing the following environment:
ADSM 2.1.0.6 running on a RS/6000 7013 58H with AIX 4.1.4
The RS/6000 is attached to 4 3490E B40 tape drives via 2 parallel channels
  using S/370 channel emulator/a adapter cards.
Device drivers are provided by PRPQ '5799-QDA Parallel Tape Attachment/6000'

The problem I am having is that sometimes ADSM will ask for a mount on its
activity log but no mount is displayed on the tape drive. You can mount the tape
on the drive where ADSM wants it but it will never see it. It keeps asking for
the tape until the mount request times out.(I saw a problem in IBMLINK where
this can happen if the tape is write protected, but this is not the case) At
this point the process that wanted the tape is hung and does not end. If I start
another process that wants a tape mount on the same drive it gets an I/O error.
To free the drive I have had to stop/start ADSM and in some cases delete, re-add
and configure the drive to AIX.

Is anyone else successfully using the above configuration?

Larry Robertson
Storage Administrator
(810) 737-7300
larry_robertson AT compuware DOT com