ADSM-L

Re: Negative number of buffer requests?

1997-04-08 15:20:14
Subject: Re: Negative number of buffer requests?
From: "Roger L. Spach" <rlspach AT PARANET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:20:14 -0500
Don't worry.  What has happened is that your ADSM programmers have defined
the buffer request counter as a signed 32-bit number.  After the number
exceeds ~2GB, the leading (sign) bit gets flipped, and you start counting
"up" from -2GB.  Just zero the counters and sleep well, or don't worry about
it at all.

Note:  I don't know a thing about ADSM, so I can't say if 2GB of buffer
requests  is a normal thing.  I guess that would be dependent on how long
your system has been collecting statistics and the activity of your backup
system.

Regards.

Roger Spach
Senior Systems Analyst