ADSM-L

Re: OS2 Clients

1997-03-28 07:27:51
Subject: Re: OS2 Clients
From: dan thompson <thompsod AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 06:27:51 -0600
Tony,

   We do 140+ OS/2 clients nightly without the problem you described.  If
nobody else can give you any guidance please look at these things.

1) We have had people attempt to backup small portions of data by using
another    dsm.opt with massive excludes and specific includes.  This
expires all of the data    excluded.  When a more normal encompassing
incremental is run, it must re-    backup the data again.  This also hoses
the backup versions you keep as it will flip the active file copy to
inactive and back to active and roll off any true versions.  If you keep
SMF records (if using an MVS server) you can track all sessions to see if
anyone is doing any unauthorized ADSM backups.  If they really need to do
this we actually define application oriented nodes the operate outside of
the servers "normal" node.

2) Make certain the volume label is not changing.  Do a query filespace for
a node or    two prior to your next incremental and check the backup dates.
 Do this after the  incremental the next day.

Dan T.