ADSM-L

Re: why two tape are filling

1997-03-27 09:37:51
Subject: Re: why two tape are filling
From: Konrad Bauer <KBauer9961 AT AOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:37:51 -0500
Tina, Keep in mind, ADSM just does the things we define, or think we have
defined; there is no ADSM intelligence. In your case, I'd guess that the
reclamation threshold was set to trigger the second move, i.e. although you
had just generated a new tape (second) it was eligible for reclamation. To
avoid strange things to happen it may be necessary to blocked reclamation, or
migration till required.

Cheers,  Konrad
In einer eMail vom 27.03.1997  13:08:38, schreiben Sie:

<< On another note, I had a weird experience with reclamation yesterday.  Two
 tapes were processed by reclamation.  The contents of the first tape
 (status=full) was moved to a second tape.  The second tape then was
 reclaimed (it's status was still filling) and its contents moved to a third.
  Why on earth would ADSM move the data from tape 1 to tape 2, only to move
 it all again to tape 3?  I think it goes back to no logic in selecting the
 order of the tapes to be reclaimed.  If ADSM had looked at all the tapes
 that would be processed, it wouldn't have handled it this way.   I hope I
 never get to the point where I have several tapes in filling status that
 also are eligible for reclamation.  It would take forever to move the data
 from tape to tape to tape ...

 Tina Hilton
 Thomson Consumer Electronics >>