ADSM-L

point-in-time-restore of a filesystem

1997-03-19 06:41:19
Subject: point-in-time-restore of a filesystem
From: Dieringer Walter VAI/COI <Dieringe AT LINZ.VAI.CO DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:41:19 +0100
Currently I am not able to restore a filesystem to a certain point in
time.
Either I get too few or too many files.

Suppose the following history of events (time stamp / event)
1       creation of files A, B, D & incremental backup
2       deletion of D & incremental backup
3       the active files are now A, B ( = status wanted )
4       modification of A & incremental backup
5       deletion of filesystem & recreation of filesystem
6       now I want to restore the file system to time stamp 3

A. "dsmc restore -TODATE=3" restores only file B,
which wasn't modified since time stamp 3
but does not restore file A which was modified after then,
so the version of file A at time 3 had been set to inactive.

B. "dsmc restore -TODATE=3 -INA" restores files B,C,D
although file D was already deleted at this time.
The existence of file D is incorrect. I get too many files!
This is critical if there occurs a lot of creation and deletion in the
filesystem
In this case I can run out of space during restore !!

My ADSM-Server-Version: 2.1.5.6 on AIX4.1.4
my Client-Versions: 2.1.0.5, 2.1.0.6G

Any ideas ?

Walter Dieringer
VAI - VOEST Alpine Industrieanlagenbau