ADSM-L

MOVE DATA

2015-10-04 18:09:30
Subject: MOVE DATA
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 3/17/97 2:54PM
What you suggest (using Move Data) could be done, but it is not what I
would recommend.  The obvious problem is that your disk pool would have to
be big enough to hold 2 weeks worth of data. Caching is an interesting
piece in this scenario - there would probably be no benefit from keeping it
on, since you don't want a copy left after the move data.  Turning caching
off (after it has been on) doesn't appear to me to have an immediate effect
I don't think ADSM deletes the cache copies immediately - but rather lets
them fall off the end as the space is needed.

But more importantly, sending the tapes off site for 6 months and then
bringing them back does not really help, because some of the data in the
pool will still be good - lots of manual porcessing to recover it.

Take a closer look at the copy pools and how they work.  DRM is meant to
automate this process and can help you out.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT thehartford DOT com

Author:  INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
Date:    3/17/97 2:54 PM

     I would like to know the most efficient way to move all the data
     (without leaving a copy in cache) from my disk storage pools to my
     tape storage pool.

     The plan is to perform this task every 2 weeks, thus creating a set of
     offsite tapes containing 2 weeks worth of data which will be retained
     for 6 months.

     We purchased the DRM, but have not researched it much to this point.
     Is this what we need to use? Or should we be using the MOVE DATA
     command?

     Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated

     Thanks,

     Tony Arsneault
     ARSNEAUT AT OAKWOOD DOT ORG