ADSM-L

The Mystery of the Missing File......

1997-03-15 11:32:48
Subject: The Mystery of the Missing File......
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 08:32:48 PST
Jerry,

I definitely did not mean to imply that reclamation of primary tape
volumes causes the backup copy of these files to become unreachable.  One
of the most attractive features of the copy storage pool scheme is that
primary files can move anywhere within the hierarchy and any copies in a
copy storage pool are still usable.  The phrase was meant to indicate that
movement of primary files during reclamation of an offsite volume may lead
to incomplete reclamation, simply because of the indirect way in which
offsite files are moved.  My post of a couple weeks ago explained this
briefly.  I will repost the full text below.

"Assuming a healthy database, any file in a copy storage pool must also
reside in a primary pool. Message ANR1163W just means that reclamation
ended without moving one or more files from a copy pool volume.  This
could be because the primary pool volume on which the files reside is
unavailable or maybe the primary files were moved during reclamation
and therefore were not found.  To understand this you need to realize
that reclamation builds a list of primary volumes from which it will
obtain files during an offsite reclamation process.  It then processes
these primary volumes one at at time to minimize volume mounts.  However,
if the data is moved from one of these primary pool volumes before
it is obtained for the offsite reclamation, the offsite reclamation
may be incomplete."

Hope this helps.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development