ADSM-L

Re: ADSM-L

1997-03-14 15:08:34
Subject: Re: ADSM-L
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:08:34 -0500
We have done this twice for NT 4.0 multi-user workstations that have had
a hard disk crash.  We believe it will work for NT 4.0 Server (Note this
is NT 4.0 , NOT NT 3.5.1)

*       We replaced the hard disk (C drive).
*       We reinstalled NT 4.0 from the original install media.
*       We reinstalled the ADSM client from the original install media.
*       We signed on the machine as the local admin, started the ADSM GUI
client,  and restored the entire C drive with NOREPLACE and NOPROMPT.
(This causes ADSM to rebuild the drive you are actually booted from.
.DLL files that are in use are not restored.)
*       After the drive restore was finished, we restored the registry with
DSMC REGREST ENTIRE.
*       REBOOT IMMEDIATELY.

Everything is restored, including registry entries, the local user
security data base, user id's, etc.
This procedure works WITH SOME CAVEATS:

*       It will only work if you KNOW that your install media is the right
maintenance level.  If you try to restore the drive on top of itself,
ADSM cannot replace the .DLL files that are in use.  If you reinstall
WinNT with old media, but the machine had a service pack installed, you
will end up with back-level DLLs.

*       It will not work if you are restoring to a different MACHINE, or with
a significantly different hardware configuration, because the hardware
piece of the registry will not match the system.

There are certainly cases where this is NOT an appropriate solution.
For some of our more critical servers, we are going to try the approach
of using a second disk partition so we don't have to reinstall NT, or
worry about back-levelling NT modules.  But for many of our NT 4.0
systems, this way is simple, fast, and effective.