ADSM-L

Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session

1997-03-13 21:27:48
Subject: Pct. Comm. Wait Last Session
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:27:48 -0800
[Environment: ADSM/6000 v2.1.8, IRIX client 2.1.6]

Just out of curiosity, I did a 'query node blah f=d' to inspect
the results of an archive session for one of our servers.

I noticed that the communication wait for the session was
relatively high (or seemed to be to me), at 46.96%

During this session, we backed up approximately 60GB of data in
20 hours. All of this activity was across an ATM connection. Am I
correct in reading the statistics that the ADSM server spent
nearly 10 of those 20 hours waiting for the client? Is this
unusual? Or is this situation created by setting things like
MOVESIZETHRESHOLD to 256, and MOVEBATCHSIZE to 500?

Is nearly 50% communication wait time for a session normal,
especially over such a sustained period of time? Are there other
parameters that I might set that would lower this, and perhaps
improve throughput? Or am I being greedy, expecting better than
3GB per hour?

Thanks for any thoughts. -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>