ADSM-L

FW: Recovery log

1997-03-07 15:29:54
Subject: FW: Recovery log
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,HiServ/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 15:29:54 -0500
Tom,
        I guess it comes down to how much data you can afford to lose.  We run
with a mirrored recovery log and our database is on a 7137 Raid 5 array
so we're covered on the hardware side of things but, in case of a
catastrophic failure, I've decided we can live with point-in-time
recovery (i.e. as of the last full database backup).  Running in
roll-forward mode allows you to recover the db to its most recent state
if you lose a db volume(s)  but does require significantly more recovery
log space.  If you're using the HSM feature, I think the recommendation
is to run in foll-forward mode.  Our previous environment was on an 3090
running MVS - I could only run a full database backup once a week
because it took so long (3 hours +) so I had to rely on the incremental
backups the rest of the week. .

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com