ADSM-L

Re: Help for Solaris and SGI clients

1997-03-05 08:52:34
Subject: Re: Help for Solaris and SGI clients
From: Joe Morris <morris AT UNC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:52:34 -0500
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Alfred Novacek wrote:

|  - SGI: This client installed ok. However, we use a non-default naming
| convention for our clients (we do not use the complete hostnames), and when
| I tried to configure the client name via a NODENAME directive in DSM.SYS
| (which is allowed according to OPTIONS.DOC), ADSM complained about an
| invalid keyword in DSM.SYS; however, ADSM worked ok when I moved the
| directive into DSM.OPT (the user specific option file).
| However, OPTIONS.DOC mentions that the user is considered root once he
| specifies another node name. While this is ok with the SGI I configured
| (which will be used as a "single user" system), another SGI will be used
| for student projects, and we don't want them to have access to files that
| were produced by other project groups (unless we allow this access).

I use the 'nodename' parameter on every client which covers all sorts of
platforms including SGI.  No problems.  The ONLY thing I place in in the
dsm.opt is 'quiet' and a 'domain' setting (ADSM on SGI likes to backup the
AFS filesystem--bad, ADSM, bad bad, ADSM).  :)

From my experiences it appears that placing the nodename parameter in the
dsp.opt file will force any user (root or non-root) to provide a password
before establishing a session with the server.  This seems to contradict
what you just said above.

Please post your current dsm.sys and dsm.opt files if you want further
assistance.  Good luck!

Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development