ADSM-L

Questions on Tape Reclamation

1997-03-03 23:13:01
Subject: Questions on Tape Reclamation
From: Dianne Sharp <DSHARP AT CLEAR.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:13:01 +1300
We are running ADSM Server V1 on MVS.

We have been doing tape reclamation regularly (3 times a week) for a
while now but noticed today that we still have a large number of tapes
with a small amount of valid data on them.

Unfortunately, we have a limited window in which to run tape
reclamation, so have been ending it when we require the use of the
cartridge drives (i.e. before it is completed).
We have been setting the threshold to 50%, then back to 100%.

QUESTIONS :

1.  Does anyone know the order in which tapes are reclaimed? (i.e. it
certainly doesn't appear to be in %utilised order, which is probably why
we are in the situation we are in.)

2.  If a tape is 0.0% utilised and we perform reclamation on it, why
does the tape have to be physically mounted?

Dianne Sharp
Operations Analyst
ISS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
Ext 4208