ADSM-L

IDLETIMEOUT/COMMTIMEOUT

1997-02-28 07:59:43
Subject: IDLETIMEOUT/COMMTIMEOUT
From: Betsy Moir <Elizabeth.Moir AT VM.SSW.ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 06:59:43 -0600
To: OAS     --LMS1

FROM: Betsy Moir (TTCEDM) Ext 85020
      VM Tech Services
      email:  elizabeth.moir AT vm.ssw.abbott DOT com

I can't help you out as far as HOW to access the DNS, but I do know that it
can be done.  We have several Netware servers using the DNS to resolve host
IP addresses.

Betsy
*** Forwarding note from OWNERAD1--INTERNET 97/02/27 23:15 ***

TO:          INTERNET  ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
FROM: OWNERAD1 INTERNET  OWNER-ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
DATE: 02/27/97 23:15
SUBJECT: IDLETIMEOUT/COMMTIMEOUT
COPYLIST:
I have a resolution (sort of) to the problems I posted here earlier in
the week having to do with the unexpected onset of client sessions end-
ing with IDLETIMEOUT and COMMTIMEOUT limits reached.  Thanks to Jerry
and Dwight for some interesting observations about this problem.

However, as it turns out, the problem now has been resolved by removing
MVS TCPIP Version 3.2 and returning to 3.1.  The sometimes seemingly
random nature of the failures (node backs up fine one day, fails the
next; one fails consistently; one fails only during nightly incremental
backup, etc.) along with some other network related problems earlier,
caused us to overlook this new version of TCPIP as the culprit (after
all, it had been running for 3-4 weeks and most of the 200 clients
weren't having any problems).

For anyone considering moving to TCPIP 3.2, I would advise caution at
this time, as this is not the only problem we solved by backing out to
3.1.  This particular problem has been reported to level 2 ADSM support.

Now, for a question.  I am not a NetWare expert and my NetWare people
seem to be totally unfamiliar with TCPIP on their boxes.  My problem is
that they seem unable to figure out how to reference our DNS from
NetWare.  They have insisted on putting hard-coded IP addresses in the
options files because they claim 'ADSM doesn't seem to support a host
name in the SERVERADDRESS option'.  I claim they haven't configured
TCPIP correctly.  They just install it and do no configuration.  One
guy said they could code up a /etc/hosts file, but I have to believe
there is a way to reference the DNS that the rest of the organization
uses.  Anybody know??
Thanks
Sam Sheppard
shs AT sddpc.sannet DOT gov