ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Network Impact

1997-02-21 15:52:08
Subject: Re: ADSM Network Impact
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:52:08 -0500
My two cents:

We have been backing up servers at night, but are now planning to open
up ADSM to many desktops.
To get an estimate of the impact:

*       I installed ADSM on 10 desktops that I considered "power users" in the
Tech Support area.
(They were happy to be part of the test because they wanted their PC's
backed up automatically).
*       I set up their DSM.OPT to keep their dsmsched.log files for 30 days.
*       I let them run normally for a few weeks.
*       I went back and collected copies of their dsmsched.log files and just
looked at them.
*       The statistics told me that each incremental backup transferred a VERY
small amount of data each day.

We already have enough network capacity that we have our users install
software packages across the network; the amount of data transferred by
an incremental backup is generally much smaller than that, so we expect
minimal impact.

Our users use their PC's primarily for office applications; mail, word
processing, spreadsheets, graphics, terminal emulation, etc.  PC's used
for heavy interactive analysis (i.e., PC's that are generating a lot of
data) might have a different backup profile.

I am counting on the fact that we have closed registration to limit the
number of "first backups" done at once.