ADSM-L

Re: Database Backup and Server Export

1997-02-20 01:58:47
Subject: Re: Database Backup and Server Export
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:58:47 -0600
     Very good question, Of course IBM would like to sell us some more
     software BUT!
     Now I still have much room for improvement and really don't have
     things finished up myself but where I would like to be is:
     I've got 5 AIX ADSM servers and 2 MVS (others deal with the MVS so
     they can fight their own battle, OH GOD THOUGH... I back up my AIX
     ADSM servers to MVS) I'm trying new system configs on the Chicago &
     Houston ADSM boxes but the Tulsa boxes are pretty close to the
     same...RS/6000, 3494 w/ 3590's (4), & 4 drawers of 4.5GB SSA drives.
     To ensure continued backups I have some vacant licenses on each
     different server to immediately point clients to, at least very
     critical clients.  That covers continued backups/archives... NOW if
     they need a restore/retrieve... If the environments were identical I
     could 1) pray for 40 hour days 2) fake out another environment by
     putting the broken server's DB on it (I might get burned with ADSM &
     associated licenses when it wakes up on a processor with a different
     serial numbers and the such...)  3) Library inventories will be all
     our of whack BUT if I'm just trying to cover an extream emergency to
     restore a single client I would pull his set of tapes from the one
     ATL, check them in the ATL in this temp environment, export out the
     data, drop that ADSM environment, restart the REAL ADSM for tha
     machine, import that client's data... 4) Now things are sort of normal
     and that adsm server could continue standard processing while working
     the restore of the client from the broken adsm environment.  5) get a
     ski mask and a gun to obtain a replacement machine for the "just
     melted the insides out" box  6) go through the motions and get back
     the broke environment via reattach hardware/or have all new... bring
     back the database, sequential vol hist, da, da, da all that good stuff
     from the manuals on how to recover from blah...7) point the clients
     back to that server 8) finish up by exporting backups made to other
     ADSM servers and import them into this one...

     Oh, has anyone tried having a client on one server, pointing that
     client to another environment for a couple days, pointing the client
     back, doing an export on "the other" server and then importing that
     data into the origional one? ? ? ?    I would like to know how it did
     with expiration processing... such as if you import a file with a
     version date that is older than all the copies on/in the current
     environment would it keep that as new (since it was the most current
     one brought into the server) or would it expire it since it was the
     oldest? In other words has anyone noticed if expiration/versions
     depend on the date of the file on the client or the date when it
     showed up on the server..... Sorry if I've missed something in my
     readings and this is a stupid question...
     later
          Dwight