ADSM-L

Re: Different includes/excludes

1997-02-19 12:34:00
Subject: Re: Different includes/excludes
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 12:34:00 EST
Sounds like an archive for the monthly and weekly backups would take care of
this for you.  That way you could even "label" them as the special
monthly/yearly backup.

Tina Hilton
 ----------
From: Mattice Dave
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wednesday, February 19, 1997 12:16PM

If the following message Andy Raibeck says:
> - If you change the management class on an INCLUDE statement, all
existing
>  backup versions of files affected by that INCLUDE will be re-bound to
that
>  management class (i.e. you can't have Monday - Friday's backups bound to
>  one management class, and Saturday's backup bound to another -- all
backup
>  versions of the same file must be bound to the same management class).

Does this mean that I cannot change the management class
on a "dsmc" command line to indicate that on one day the files
in directory "/abc" are to be kept for 1 week and that on another
day the same files in "/abc" are to be kept for 4 weeks?

We have a requirement to perform weekly backups that are kept
for 6 weeks, monthly backups that are kept for 12 months and
annual backups that are kept for ten years.  I thought for these
backups, monthly and yearly, separate management classes
would work.  If not, how are other site dealing with this?

Thanks,
Dave Mattice
MCI Systemhouse