ADSM-L

Re: Different includes/excludes

1997-02-19 09:13:06
Subject: Re: Different includes/excludes
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 06:13:06 PST
Addressing a couple of Dave Sanders' questions:

> This still puzzles me then,,,,, how can I get that scenerio to play?  The
> situation is that we want a limited set of files/directories to be
> incrementally backed-up during the week,,,, but those same files and
> several other large directories (these are to large to be backedup during
> the week to meet the processing window, thus the decision to NOT do them
> during the week).

This is a well-known requirement, but I don't know what the plans are, if any,
to provide this enhancement. However, one work-around might be to do something
like this:

1) Create a new management class for the files you want to back up only on
   the weekend. Set the backup copygroup attribute FREQUENCY to some large
   number of days, like 999.

2) Set up your INCLUDE/EXCLUDE filters so that the files you want to back up
   only once a week are assigned to this new management class, and all other
   files get the usual daily incremental treatment.

3) On the day you want the "weekend-only" files to be eligible for incremental
   backup, schedule two Admin commands:

   a) Update the "weekend-only" copygroup so that the FREQUENCY is 0.
   b) Activate the policy set containing the "weekend-only" management class.

4) Schedule two more Admin commands to run the next day:

   a) Update the "weekend-only" copygroup so that the FREQUENCY is 999.
   b) Activate the policy set containing the "weekend-only" management class.

This type of thing might be of assistance.

> BTW Andy, this particular server is HARTCT1-APP. You may remember their
> processing requirements.

Ahhhh........ memories.........  but it's been over a year now, and I don't
recall their requirements, but maybe if you hum a few bars...       :-)

> Based on what Andy Raibeck has stated about rebinding and active/inactive
> levels, do these scripts give the correct level of restore capability??

> > Dear Dave,
> >         Our UNIX administrator uses a script that renames one
> include/exclude
> > and then renames the other whichever he wishes to use in the backups.
> > He then uses a script to run the ADSM backup afterwords he runs the
> > rename script again to put things back the way they were.  I hope that
> > this helps.

Again, you need to see exactly what the differences are between the two
sets of include/exclude lists. I can't really think of any scenario where
flip-flopping include/exclude lists WON'T result in loss of backup versions
somewhere down the road, unless the only changes are to which management
class the files are bound AND the only changes in that management class are
to properties like FREQUENCY, SERIALIZATION, MODE, etc.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support