ADSM-L

Standalone DLT problem using ADSM on OS/2

1997-02-18 06:37:52
Subject: Standalone DLT problem using ADSM on OS/2
From: Jim Riehl <JIMBO AT SANJOSE.VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:37:52 -0700
Hi there,
  A couple of days ago I described a problem with manually ejected DLT drives.
We have found two minor problems that, together, caused a worse problem.
One is in the firmware of older DLT drives (revision levels vary) such that
it returned a misleading ASC/ASCQ check condition.  The other "problem" was
that the ADSMTAPE.SYS OS/2 device driver, upon receiving this check condition,
would retry 90 times at 10 seconds each (15 minutes).  This is not entirely
unreasonable since the return values from the drive typically indicate a
temporary condition.

To tell the level of your drive's microcode, use the ADSMSDI utility.
The last two digits of the Revision level is the firmware level (in hex).
Different drives have different levels currently available.  Here are the
most common:
  DLT2000XT (a.k.a. Compaq 15/30 DLT)  revision available is 37 (decimal)
  DLT2000 (a.k.a. TZ87 )  revision available is 60 (dec)
  DLT4000 revision available is 75 (dec)

My motto is "Don't kick sleeping dogs", but if you're experiencing other
problems with your drive, you may consider upgrading it to the current level.
Contact the mfr or your dealer to obtain upgrades.

For now, we have changed the ADSMTAPE.SYS to only retry this wait condition
for 10 seconds.  You may download the updated driver (as ADSMTAPE.DLT) from
the index.storsys.ibm.com ftp server, in the adsm/temp directory.
  NOTE:  This driver is for ADSM V2.1.0.9.

After downloading it, place it in your server directory and rename your
original ADSMTAPE.SYS to ADSMTAPE.ORG, and rename ADSMTAPE.DLT to ADSMTAPE.SYS.
You will have to reboot your system for the change to take effect.

Regards,
   Greg Bybee (posted by Jim Riehl)