ADSM-L

Re: TcpOpen(): setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF): errno = 74

1997-02-17 13:41:00
Subject: Re: TcpOpen(): setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF): errno = 74
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:41:00 -0500
Cheryl Blacher wrote:

> Hello,
> The following error comes up in many of my error logs, all the time.
> Can anyone tell me where to start?
>
> 02/17/97   00:35:20  TcpOpen(): setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF): errno = 74
> 02/17/97   00:35:20  TcpOpen(): setsockopt(SO_RCVBUF): errno = 74
> 02/17/97   00:35:20  TcpOpen(): setsockopt failed on one or more options

The error numbers are defined in /usr/include/sys/errno.h.

The error number 74 indicates that AIX could not provide enough
buffer space to carry out the requested enlargements of the transmit
and receive buffers. If you are not seeing other error messages the
recovery action is almost certainly to continue with the default
buffer size. This will almost certainly cause some performance
degradation. The documentation for error number 74 suggests that
there is a way for a system administrator to increase the amount
of memory available for IP buffers, but does not go into detail
about how this is done.