ADSM-L

Q on recovering from damaged media

1997-02-16 17:06:02
Subject: Q on recovering from damaged media
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:06:02 -0500
ADSM 2.1.5.9 on AIX 4.1.4.

I have a backup tape cartridge with a permanent I/O error.
Tape went bad immediately, so not all the data got backed up into the
copy storage pool.

A "move data" removed everything up to the point of the I/O error.
Q CONTENT volser    shows only 4 files left on the tape, all belonging
to one client.

RESTORE volser preview=YES     confirms that those 4 files have no
copies.

If I do a DELETE volser DISCARDDATA=YES, it should clean up the entries
from the data base.

Q1:  The next time the client runs an incremental backup, will ADSM know
that it needs to back these files up again?  I suspect not, but would
like a second opinion.

Q2:  Is there any way for me (the admin) to tell which backup version of
the file was destroyed?  Q CONTENT F=D shows me the file name, client
name, file space name, and size, but no information about when the file
was copied, or whether other backup versions of the file exist.