ADSM-L

ADSM and Onbar

1997-02-15 22:06:12
Subject: ADSM and Onbar
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 19:06:12 PST
>At the moment we evaluate the ADSM-API (on AIX 4.1.4 with ADSM-client
>2.1.0.6) with the Informix-Tool Onbar to backup Informix-Online (7.21)
>databases. Backups are successful everything looks fine 'til now.
>
>But one thing is not clear to me: How long will the backed up objects res
>ide
>on the servers storage-pools, do they ever expire, how do I bind a backup
>a management class, is there another mechanism to delete older versions?
>Perhaps you folks can help me, I haven't found anything related to this
>object in the Redbook "Backing up Database ..." by Cindy Behrens.
>
>Thanks in advance

Heiko, you must not have the latest book, SG24-4335-02....it has alot
of details about what happens to the data stored on the ADSM server...
in fact, it is a crucial consideration with onbar....onbar works differently
than the other api applications.  Onbar does reuse object names so you do
end up with multiple versions on the ADSM server.  All the other api appls
use unique object names ever time they send a backup.  Also, onbar does
not issue the delete object api call, which is how objects are supposed to
be deleted on the adsm server....therefore, the way they are deleted is just
with normal adsm versioning and file expiration processing.  This means that
stuff can get deleted from the ADSM server, but the onbar catalogs don't know
that it has....we have a lot of write up about this in the redbook....the
best suggestion for now is to keep lots of versions on ADSM.  Informix is
aware of this and plans to change the implementation in a future release.
We also document in the redbook a way to try and live with this until them...
a rather crude, but workable process.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)