ADSM-L

Re: StorageTek 9710

1997-02-13 14:58:09
Subject: Re: StorageTek 9710
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:58:09 -0500
We are AIX 4.1.4, running ADSM 2.1.5.9, ADSM Enhanced server 2.1.5.4,
ACSLS 5.1.1.
We have ADSM and ACSLS running together on the same server (which is not
a requirement).
One ADSM server is an RS6000 J30, one is an RS6000 590.
We have two STK 9710's with STK 3490E-compatible drives.
You can also get them with DLT drives.

Note that you CANNOT run the 9710 with the base ADSM product  - you must
run the ADSM Enhanced server.  That is what provides the support for the
STK library.  You first install ADSM, then you install the ADSM Enhanced
server on top of the base ADSM code.

What the Enhanced ADSM server installation does is provide some device
drivers and puts a front end on the ADSM dsmserv module.  The front end
starts up an ssi process to communicate with ACSLS whenever you start
dsmserv.

The README file for the Enhanced server provides very detailed
information about how to configure the 9710 drives as an ADSM library
once you get Enhanced ADSM installed.  There is a LOT to read, but we
had no problem at all getting it to work.  Once you have the devices
configured, the Enhanced Server is more or less invisible to normal ADSM
operation.

The Enhanced ADSM code is provided by a third party company called Open
Microsystems.  I have found their tech support to be VERY responsive and
very helpful.  You should ask them if there are any implications for
running on an SP, I don't know about that.

We have been running the 9710's since October and have been so pleased
we are planning to buy another one.  They give you the speed, media
durability, and reliability of mainframe hardware on a network box (in a
very small space).

Hardware:  We had 1 problem on installation with a bad drive.  Since
then, an intermittent problem with errors on dismounts that was
corrected with a microcode upgrade.  STK hardware support has been very
good.

Software:  We had an intermittent problem with ACSLS communications
errors on the 9710 attached to the J30.  Circumvented with a PTF from
Open Microsystems.  Their support is outstanding.

None of the hardware or software problems were serious enough to knock
down the 9710's.
I have been especially pleased that if we reboot the 9710's or lose
power, they resync with ACSLS and ACSLS resyncs with ADSM without having
to cycle either.  It turns out to be a pretty robust setup.

You should be able to get information about Enhanced Server from your
local IBM salesperson.
If not, you could try contacting Open Microsystems directly:

Open Microsystems. (512)450-0900  (USA)
Contact via email:
chuck_dennison AT openmic DOT com

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"The opinions expressed herein are my own, and I'm pretty picky".