ADSM-L

Bare Metal Redbook and Windows NT

1997-02-13 12:22:31
Subject: Bare Metal Redbook and Windows NT
From: TIm Mortimer <tim_mortimer AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 12:22:31 EST
>Question:
>Are there any tricks to restore NT "on top of itself"?  I attempted this
>in vain with ADSM, acknowledging that the redbook was addressing the
>most reliable method, not necessarily the fastest or most efficient.

There is no way of doing what you want with ADSM. The client is a Win32
app that requires NT to be running before it can itself be used. That's
the base premise for the procedure in the Bare Metal Redbook.

The problem is more than just the registry, when NT starts it locks
various system files that ADSM cannot overwrite. I don't know Backup
Exec but I would guess that their disaster recovery process involves
running some other operating system from diskette?? that can recover
NT partitions.

Cheers,
Tim Mortimer
ITSO San Jose
Internet: Tim_Mortimer AT vnet.ibm DOT com