ADSM-L

Re: Can ADSM do this?

1997-02-13 09:38:42
Subject: Re: Can ADSM do this?
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 08:38:42 -0600
     DELETE ON RESTORE ? ?
     is restored and between the time that user lost their file and the
     restore was done your boss added 50 new files at 1GB each, WOULD HE
     WANT THOSE NEW FILES DUSTED JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT THERE WHEN THE
     LAST BACKUP RAN....?"
     I'm old MVS and haven't caught up on all the AIX tricks but I would
     guess there would be some means close to an alternate sysres volume
     where you could restore to and point the system for the next IPL...
     not exactly sure how it could be done... BUT ANYWAY #1 requirement of
     ADSM... You have a functional operating system & ADSM loaded... In the
     world of AIX there is always makesysb
     How can they trust the data is good....  'bout the same as knowing
     that in vi when you :wq that you have a good copy out on disk... you
     can carry the paranoia to any extream, you can even re-read & compare
     the backup data until you generate a read error either on the actual
     data or the backup copy... (there are error routines in adsm)
     I'm sorry if I'm sounding like I'm flaming here but it sounds like
     what the boss wants/needs is to run triple mirrors, two local and one
     over fiber to a bunker a couple miles away (with no door to the
     outside and a depleted uranium sheild over the fiber...)
     I'll shut up now...