ADSM-L

Re: Rotation of data to offsite storage and back

1997-02-12 19:21:01
Subject: Re: Rotation of data to offsite storage and back
From: Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:21:01 EST
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997 06:28:50 -0700 Larimer, Dave said:
>I am running ADSM on a VM V1 server.  I am about to upgrade to V2, but I
>have some questions concerning the rotating of daily backups tapes
>offsite.  I am unsure how to accomplish this.
>        In version 1 there were no provisions that I could see to copy a single
>nodes data offsite.  In studying the V2 manuals, I see that there is
>still no way to copy an individual nodes data to a volume destined for
>offsite storage.  Does anyone know how this is done or have ideas on how
>to move data offsite?
>
>Environment:
>        VM v1 server
>        TCP/IP
>        STORAGE POOLS
>                Two primary disk pools
>                        Archive pool - 1 gig capacity
>                        Backup pool  - 5.7 gig capacity
>                Two secondary tape pools
>                        Archive tape pool - 75 gig capacity   82% utilized
>                        Backup tape pool - 828 gig capacity  63% utilized
>
>My company wants to move data that has been backed up during the night
>offsite and then move it back onsite after a specified amount of time.
>Archive tapes for a spacific node also to be moved offsite for a
>specified amount of time.  To copy my backup tape pool would be
>impossible on a daily basis.

Both version 1 and version 2 have the export node command which will
copy a nodes info and data to media that can be carried offsite.
But it is not a fast process if you have a large amount of data.

Version two allows you to issue a backup command for the database
and/or the storage pools. This then creates a copy of the data that
can be offsite. The backup storage pool is faster then the export in
that it is incremental in nature.

When I first heard about the copy storage pool, I thought that the
data to the copy storage pool would be done by migration and not
by backup. I can see plus and minus's both ways.

len

Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
203 SAS Campus Drive
Cary NC 27513