ADSM-L

Helpful ADSM trick under AIX

1997-02-11 21:53:49
Subject: Helpful ADSM trick under AIX
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:53:49 -0600
     THis is actuall in response to the FORMAT=DETAILED question...
     I pulled this from the list a while back but have used the uh..hummm
     out of it
     Set you an executable such as: (I've named it cmd)
     #!/bin/ksh
     dsmadmc -id=xxx -pass=xxx $*
     exit 0

     do a register admin xxx xxx   , should be safe 'bout all it can do is
     queries...  you can add any goodies you like... you could have a
     "cmdd" for command detailed and then from a command line just say :
     "cmdd q node" and get a q node f=d if you code cmdd as
     dsmadmc -id=xxx -pass=xxx $* f=d
     NOTE if you're going to pipe the output to something you will need to
     add quotes to what you pass... such as:
     cmd 'q libvol' | grep -i scratch | wc
     to count the number of scratches available...  KOOL!  then as this
     manual process gets to be a pain you add a little more and the next
     thing you know a mail message a day keeps the upper management away.
     NOTE: by setting multiple node definitions in your dsm.sys file you
     can run queries against all your servers from a single point
     eliminating the need to physically log on each adsm server ;-)
     WHO NEEDS TO PAY FOR SOFTWARE TO MANAGE THESE SERVERS!
     Read one mail message a day and know about all there is to know...

     OH, I've used the "CMD" thing cause I find it excessive to even log
     into adsm and issue MACRO blah
     And I wonder why people come into my office and hold a mirror under my
     nose!
     later
          DWight