ADSM-L

multiple types of backups- full and incremental

1997-02-11 12:14:22
Subject: multiple types of backups- full and incremental
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:14:22 -0600
I have an ADSM/6000 server backing itself up.  We also use HSM on the
major filesystems.

We currently run nightly incremental backups, keep 3 versions back, etc
etc.

I would like to also do some type of  _full_ backups each month that I
can save for
some period of time and am not sure how I should do these.

I could do regular AIX  backups by inode.. but to do so, I have to
deactivate the HSM
control over the filesytems, so it would have to be done at a "down"
time etc.

Is there a way to use ADSM to do both incrementals, and a full set of
backups ???  If so,
what happens for the files that have been migrated with HSM and are
just a stub file ???
Must I recall all migrated files before a full backup ????

Thanks for any help.