ADSM-L

Strange behavior on NetWare

1997-02-10 19:36:07
Subject: Strange behavior on NetWare
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:36:07 EST
Question for you NetWare gurus:

Environment: NetWare 4.10, ADSM 2.1.0.3

Question:  Does ADSM update the timestamps on directories when it backs
           up files from those directories?

           One of our NetWare users reports that this is the case, and has
           some pretty strong evidence to support it.  The timestamps in
           the dsmsched.log file match the timestamps on the directories.

           However, we see one other inexplicable behaviour.  An ADSM
           incremental is backing up all the files in some directories
           (perhaps all), even though the timestamps on those files indicate
           that they have not not changed recently.  This seems to only have
           happened on one particular day.  We cannot explain why - no one
           has access to this volume, other than the sysadmin, and he "did
           not make any changes that day".

Question:  On NetWare, what does ADSM look at (besides the timestamp) on a
           file to determine whether it has changed or not?

Thanks for any ideas.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Network & Computing Systems        Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601