ADSM-L

Re: new adsm client for dfs backups

1997-01-06 08:06:00
Subject: Re: new adsm client for dfs backups
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:06:00 EST
The AFS/DFS client also requires level 12 of the ADSM server for AIX, which
isn't available yet.  They hope it will be ready by mid-January.

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics
 ----------
From: Shyh-Wei Luan
To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
Date: Friday, January 03, 1997 6:12PM

You can consider using the DFS 2.1 "buta" for AIX 4.1.4 to eliminate the
need of
disk space for storing the dumps before they are sent to ADSM.  With the
buta,
you also get an ADSM DFS-fileset backup solution which is integrated with
the
native fileset-backup system of DFS.

As Werner Baur at LRZ pointed out earlier with AFS, a separate incremental
file
backup can be done where per-file restore is desired, using the ADSM's DFS
file
backup client on AIX (also available in Client PTF 6), and you use the
fileset
backup for fast recovery from disk failures.

Shyh-Wei Luan
IBM Almaden Research Center

 --- Forwarded mail from "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Sorry.  I should have been more clear.  I'm referring to AIX clients.  DFS
stands for distributed file system.  I'm fairly new to AIX and DFS, so I
can
only tell you how we use it in our shop.  It is one file space that is
accessible to all our nodes on our RS6000 SP.  Our current backup method is
to dump the entire filespace (using the ftsdump utility provided by IBM) to
JFS, then backing that file up through ADSM.  That equates to backing up
all
files on DFS every day.  It uses disk space to store the dump, and
additional tapes for the ADSM backup of the dump as well as increases the
complexity of backups and restores of an individual file.