ADSM-L

Re: Restore on multi user systems?

1997-02-06 08:14:23
Subject: Re: Restore on multi user systems?
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:14:23 +0100
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Gerhard Rentschler wrote:

> Hi,
> is it possible for end users on multi user systems to restore their
> own files? Or must they call the system administrator to do the
> restore?
> As far as I know there is only one password per adsm client. The same
> password is used by the adminstrator for managing adsm on the
> system. Should I tell end users this password?
> We are going to use AIX servers.

In general, ordinary users cannot restore their own files. This is,
however, not due to a password problem. If you specify
PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE (which you have to do unless you want to get into
severe security hassle) the users have access to exactly their own files
but only if ADSM is able to recognise the identity of the user. This does
not work correctly if you are backing up from a dedicated file server
machine where the ordinary user is not validated.

This bug was reported as a PMR. As usual with bugs in ADSM, the answer was
"working as designed" from which you may infer that ADSM is only designed
for small environments that do not employ dedicated file server machines.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany