ADSM-L

Scripting queries with perl

1997-02-05 14:00:53
Subject: Scripting queries with perl
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 11:00:53 -0800
Greetings all.

Environment: AIX v2.1.8 server, IRIX v2.1.5 client.

I've written a perl script to generate a formatted list of
volumes to be retrieved from our offsite storage vault. I've run
into a problem, however, due to the paging of the
information that is returned:
(i.e.: "more...   (<ENTER> to continue, 'C' to cancel)" )

The relevant snippet of Perl code is:

open(DSMVAULTR, "/bin/dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=password q drm \"*\"
     wherest=vaultr|")  || die ("Error: $!\n");

Since the process of the command line is expecting input, the
DSMVAULTR file handle never returns an EOF.

Is there a way in which I can instruct ADSM not to "page" the
returned information? When a command line request is redirected
to a file, the information is not paged, so an obvious ugly
workaround is to exec a system call to dsmadmc and redirect its
output to a temporary file, then do an open of that file, but I'd
like to avoid that additional overhead.

I appreciate any thoughts.

 -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>