ADSM-L

Re: Manual Archive Log

1997-01-31 08:15:49
Subject: Re: Manual Archive Log
From: Michael Fink <Michael.Fink AT UIBK.AC DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:15:49 +0100
On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Fawzi J. Al-Matar wrote:

> [...]
>                             However, a lot of users use the archive
> function to archive projects.  Since these users have a lot of data to
> archive from different SP2 nodes, the retreive is difficult for them
> since they have to know the node they archived their data from.
[...]
> My question: Did any one face this kind of request and what are the
> options to resolve this request.

Use HSM. To be more specific: set up one central HSM client somewhere
(make sure you have enough disk space) and have users copy/ftp their
archives (tar) into this HSM-managed space. We have been using this
setup with UniTree since 1992 and have recently switched to ADSM HSM.
This way, you have only one name space, and data are accessible from
anywhere in your network.

Sincerely,

   Dr. Michael Fink +-----------------------------+------------------------
        EDV-Zentrum | Universitaet Innsbruck      | Tel: +43(512)507-2311
 Computing Services | Technikerstrasse 13         | FAX: +43(512)507-2944
--------------------+ A - 6020 Innsbruck, Austria | Michael.Fink AT uibk.ac DOT
at
----- End Included Message -----
----- End Included Message -----
>> A better solution in my opinion is the establishment of a virtural node.
>> A better solution in my opinion is the establishment of a virtural node.
   This way people could archive from any number of stations and store the
    data in a virtural node that is common to all other nodes. Hsm and rcp's
    and ftp don't really appeal to me to much.

        Bill Leakey
        Kelman Archives
        Calgary,Alberta