ADSM-L

ADSM/3494/3590 problems

1997-02-03 16:31:03
Subject: ADSM/3494/3590 problems
From: "Kent L. Johnson" <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 16:31:03 -0500
We are running ADSM server 2.1.0.11 on AIX 3.2.5, with a 3494 robot and 3
3590 drives.

On Friday, we had a problem with one of our 3590 drives, and it was marked
"unavailable" at the 3494.  So, I expected our ADSM system to run fine with
only two drives over the weekend.

This morning when I came in, I discovered that no ADSM activity had occured
since 11:35pm on Friday.  This was due to the fact that the recovery log had
run out of space.

I bounced the ADSM server, and everything seemed to run fine.  I discovered
though, that the regularly scheduled DB Backup did not complete.  The DB
Backup process was hanging trying to mount a scratch tape.  While the Backup
process was hanging, the recovery log was growing.  Presumably, because the
DB Backup locks the database.  So, I'm guessing that the problem on Friday
was caused by another hung DB Backup.

I have been scratching my head, and trying to find an explanation for this.
 The DB Backup was waiting for a mount, even though there were two 3590
drives available for use.  During the day, at least two reclaim processes
ran, and they had no problem mounting and accessing tapes in these two
drives.

I tried starting the DB Backup multiple times, and always the same result.
 This afternoon, while a DB Backup process was waiting for a mount, the
previously unavailable drive was made available at the 3494.  A scratch
volume for the DB Backup was immediately mounted in that drive.

Can anybody explain this?
Why couldn't a scratch tape be mounted with two drives available?

Also, we had been running an older version of the ADSM server for at least a
year, without upgrading and without many problems.  I recently upgrade to PTF
11, and I have had a number of problems since.

I have been told that one of my problems is a known problem and has been
fixed in PTF12.
Does anybody know when PTF 12 will be available?

Thanks in advance.

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu