ADSM-L

Re: Data integrity errors on restore

1997-01-31 10:57:00
Subject: Re: Data integrity errors on restore
From: "P.A Walmsley" <P.A.Walmsley AT DL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 15:57:00 +0000
Dwight E. Cook wrote:

>      Not having seen this myself I'm just offering ideas...
>
>      What platform is your client?

Thanks for the note. client is AIX V2.1.0.5

>      Could it be that something like the file is being restored but bindery
>      information or directory information isn't available anymore?

I am able to restore other files o.k. from the directory the file is in.
However, just had a look closer and the directory it is in is marked as
active however the file itself is marked inactive. Not that this should
be the cause of the problem but  the filesystem was accidently being
backed up while a complete filesystem restore was taking place.

>      I've had my worst problems with the GUI
>      fewer problems with cmdln -pick
>      even fewer problems w/ cmdln using wild cards
>      never had a problem with "restore some.specific.file"
>      Often queries haven't shown the files to exist within ADSM and I'd see
>      different lists based on if I did a GUI query, a cmdln query, or a
>      -pick list but as mentioned if a file's name is known and deleted
>      where its last copy hasn't expired I've never had a problem with
>      restore specific.blah

I tend to find the cmdline the most reliable source of information for
files on the server.