ADSM-L

Problem: ANS4310E Object too large for server limits

1997-01-30 03:26:34
Subject: Problem: ANS4310E Object too large for server limits
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:26:34 +0100
Our ADSM server (V2.1.0.11 on AIX 4.1) has recently begun refusing to
backup a number of small files (of the order of 1 kbyte or so) with the
following error message in the client (ADSM V2.1.0.6 on SunOS4) log
file:

01/30/1997 00:54:26 ANS4228E Sending of object
  '/usr/local/man/man8/in.ftpd.8' failed
01/30/1997 00:54:26 ANS4310E Object too large for server limits

This file is 10817 bytes long !

When I repeat the backup manually, some of the files would appear to be
backed up allright.  Many other files are backed up OK during the
nightly schedule, so I don't know what is causing the error.

The messages manual says for ANS4310E that you have to "determine the
maximum file (object) size for which your site's server is
configured".  The rejected files are small, and the limit would seem to
be 1 Gbyte !!  As you can see below, the file limit is 1 G and there
seems to be plenty of free space on our disk storage pool:

adsm> query stgpool BACKUPPOOL f=d

               Storage Pool Name: BACKUPPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 2,047.0
                           %Util: 67.4
                           %Migr: 9.9
                       High Mig%: 70
                        Low Mig%: 0
             Migration Processes: 1
               Next Storage Pool: DLTPOOL0
          Maximum Size Threshold: 1 G
                          Access: Read/Write
(lines deleted)

Clearly, it is unacceptable for us to have an ADSM server that is
behaving so erratically. Our ADSM backup is essentially untrustworty at
this stage !  It seems very likely that we have hit a bug in ADSM, but
I wonder if anyone on this list has further insight or information on
this problem ?  We need this problem fixed ASAP !

Thanks for your help,

Ole Holm Nielsen
UNI-C, Building 304
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65