ADSM-L

Microsoft Exchange

1997-01-28 19:39:13
Subject: Microsoft Exchange
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:39:13 EST
>Recently my company started using Microsoft Exchange as it primary Email
>software.  As far as I have been able to ascertain, Exchange has its own
>backup utility that works online and doesn't seem to be compatable with
>anything.  Does anyone know if there is a way to backup Exchange without
>shutting it down?

You can use the NT Backup utility that comes with NT, but it only allows
backups to a local scsi tape drive, so it cannot be used with ADSM.  Seagate
has an updated version of NT Backup that they call Backup Exec, that they
have also updated to use the ADSM API.  It is in beta now with a GA planned
by end Feb.  To obtain more info on Backup Exec and it's ADSM support, you
can call the Seagate general sales number: 1-800-327-2232, and then press
option 2 twice.

IBM is also working on another solution, but nothing is officially
announced at this time.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)