ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Enhanced Server Q's

1997-01-24 10:47:33
Subject: Re: ADSM Enhanced Server Q's
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:47:33 -0500
We run ADSM 2.1.5.9 on AIX 4.1.4.

Our STK library is a 9710 with 3490-compatible drives.
The 9710 is driven by the STK ACSLS software, at level 5.1.1.

We have the Enhanced ADSM code rel. 2.1.5.4 installed.  It provides the
interface between ADSM and the STK 9710.

You need to have both ACSLS and your ADSM server installed and working.
Then you install Enhanced ADSM on top of the regular ADSM code.

What the Enhanced ADSM installation does is provide some device drivers
and puts a front end on the ADSM dsmserv module.  The front end starts
up an ssi process to communicate with ACSLS whenever you start dsmserv.

The README file for the Enhanced server provides very detailed
information about how to configure the 9710 drives as an ADSM library
once you get Enhanced ADSM installed.  There is a lot to read, but we
had no problem at all getting it to work.

The Enhanced ADSM code is provided by a third party company called Open
Microsystems.  I have found their tech support to be VERY responsive and
very helpful.  You should ask them if there are any issues associated
with running Enhanced Server on an SP, because I don't know.

I think Open Microsystems has an FTP site, but you would need a license
for the product first.
They are closely associated with IBM, and you should be able to get
information from your local IBM salesperson.  If not, you could try
contacting them directly:

Open Microsystems. (512)450-0900  (USA)
Contact via email:
chuck_dennison AT openmic DOT com
dpc AT openmic DOT com

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
301-953-6000 X8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you might think."

    - Scott Adams/Dilbert