ADSM-L

Re: Informix on Raw Devices

1997-01-24 01:22:32
Subject: Re: Informix on Raw Devices
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:22:32 -0800
Russ,
We also use Informix with SAP and are waiting anxiously for Datatools or
Informix/SAP to provide an online backup capability via the api to ADSM. In
the meantime, to avoid doing full offline backups, we do Informix backups
to disk with their ONTAPE facility. Then we use ADSM to backup the disk
backups. It's an expensive way of doing it but offline backups are simply
not an alternative.

At 10:22 AM 1/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a customer with two 3490s sitting virtually unused.  They are also
contemplating getting a couple of 3590s.  They have SAP with an Informix
database running on an AIX 4.1 system on raw drives.  They are telling me
that Informix cannot cope with the autoloaders, and ADSM, which can cope
with 3490s doesn't work with raw devices.  I thought adsmpipe would do raw
devices, but it can only do full offline backups and is not fully
supported.  Comments or suggestions?