ADSM-L

Re: Moving the Recovery Log Disks

1997-01-20 22:36:34
Subject: Re: Moving the Recovery Log Disks
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:36:34 PST
Dan Beggs asks:

>My Recovery Log file and its Mirror are allocated on 3380 disks. We are
>moving up in the world and I need to move these files to 3390 devices.

>The only method I have come across to do this is to export the data from
>the 3380s and then import it to the 3390s.  Does anyone have a simpler
>method to accomplish this goal, or advice on problems that can be
>encountered during it?

While some folks have used tools external to ADSM to move the volumes, I
would recommend that you use ADSM itself by defining the new volumes, then
deleting the old ones.

For example, suppose that you have two volumes, both mirrored:

   VOL1, VOL1MIRROR   400 MB each
   VOL2, VOL2MIRROR   200 MB each

On the 3390s, allocate and format new volumes that match (or exceed) the
existing volumes. It doesn't have to be a one-for-one match; that is, you
can allocate one volume (and mirror) that is 600 MB in size, if you wish.
In the allocation, don't forget the 1 MB extra for overhead; that is, if
you want to go to one 600 MB volume, allocate 601 MB.

Let's say you allocate two mirrored volumes the same sizes as the originals:

   VOL3, VOL3MIRROR  400 MB each
   VOL4, VOL4MIRROR  200 MB each

Issue the DEFINE LOGVOLUME and DEFINE LOGCOPY commands:

   DEFINE LOGVOLUME VOL3
   DEFINE LOGCOPY VOL3 VOL3MIRROR
   DEFINE LOGVOLUME VOL4
   DEFINE LOGCOPY VOL4 VOL4MIRROR

At this time, a QUERY LOG command will show available capacity as 1200 MB,
and assigned capacity as 600 MB.

Next, issue DELETE commands for the older volumes:

   DELETE LOGVOLUME VOL2MIRROR
   DELETE LOGVOLUME VOL2
   DELETE LOGVOLUME VOL1MIRROR
   DELETE LOGVOLUME VOL1

The order really doesn't matter.

Wait for each DELETE command to successfully complete before issuing the next
DELETE command.

When you are done, QUERY LOG should show available capacity and assigned
capacity as 600 MB, and you've completed the move. At this time, you can
delete the files occupied by the old log volumes from the operating system.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support