ADSM-L

Incremental backups to two different management classes

1997-01-13 16:39:31
Subject: Incremental backups to two different management classes
From: "Alan R.White" <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:39:31 -0000
Quick question for those who know better than me.

Our user requirement for one application is daily backups, twice a day,
keeping 32 days. On top of that they want a weekly backup, same files as
the daily but the end of week position being retained for 12 months. Then
they want a monthly backup, retention 7 years.

In ADSM speak this looks like use the default management class backup copy
group to specify the daily backups retention and run dsmc to perform the
backup at the specified times during the day (before and after end-of-day
processing), i.e. incrementals. For the other two requirements it looks
like archives to specified management classes with different retention
periods.

As most of the files involved are static, i.e. a large proportion of the
executables, scripts etc don't change very often, we would like to run an
incremental backup for the weekly backups also, keeping the required twelve
months history thus saving on database space, runtimes and all the other
good benefits of incrementals.

The problem is there doesn't seem to be a way of incrementally backing up
every day with a 32 day retention and at the weekends backing up only the
files which have changed since the last weekend, keeping the copies for
twelve months if they have changed during that week. A means of
implementing this would be to be able to specify a  management class for
incremental backups but this isn't allowed.

Anyone any ideas or can this be added to an ADSM wish list?

Thanks
Alan