ADSM-L

Problem restoring NT 4.0

1997-01-10 12:46:13
Subject: Problem restoring NT 4.0
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:46:13 -0500
Well, yesterday I made my first attempt restoring an NT 4.0 workstation
with ADSM, and I am mystified by the results.

The hard drive failed in an NT 4.0 workstation used by 3 people. We run
daily incrementals.  Here is what we did:

*       Replace and format the hard drive.
*       Install Windows NT from the MS install media.
*       Install the ADSM baclient.
*       Log on NT as the local administrator.
*       Start the ADSM GUI, and restore C:/
(The restore got several "access denied" messages because of fonts and
.dll files in use by NT, but they all seemed reasonable.)
*       Start the ADSM command line interface.
*       Enter "regrest entire".
(The regrest got one non-specific error message, ANS433.  But the
summary at the end said "number of failures 0", so we assumed the error
was for restoring the "current" user.)
*       Reboot.

Now the mystery:

WinNT reboots just fine.  Everything seems to be there.  However, the
problem is that NT does not use the restored profiles for the users, so
their desktop customization is not active.  They users can sign on, and
we can see that their desktop files got restored.  But the profiles are
somehow disconnected from their owners.

1)  Anybody have any idea what went wrong here?

2)  Is there something wrong with the steps we used, given that we had
no alternate partition or device to so a restore with?

Just as an item of interest, we called Microsoft and asked how to
reconnect them, and they were about as much help as usual-- said "why
don't you just rebuild your desktop?" (translation - DUH).  That could
be done for this workstation, but not for one of my servers with dozens
of users, so I would appreciate any suggestions!