ADSM-L

NT 4.0 Client problems

1997-01-10 09:49:40
Subject: NT 4.0 Client problems
From: Guido Rovers <guido.rovers AT OUH DOT NL>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 15:49:40 +0100
        Thanks Pete for the reaction but I still have some questions...

>>To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

>>Answer to Questions:

1.
<<enever it's starts the first message in the DSMERROR.LOG is as follows
<<
<<
<< 11/25/1996 15:03:37  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Access to NTFS file
<< security information denied, file/dir skipped ***
<<
<<Backup continues, and there are no failures in the DSMSCHED.LOG and
<<backup finishes with no errors...
<<
<<But still the first message gives me a doubt about succesfull backup
<<operation ?

>>It means that the file the error is being reported for is excluded.

I already guessed so but I want to know what file or directory this message
is about ????

>>The client was changed (PTF 5 I think) to stop logging this error
>>while obtaining the list of files because there is no way of knowing
>>at this point if the file will be excluded later.

I'm using 5.

2.

<<I backup a directory structure with NTFS security applied through the I
<<and Incremental Backup. The backup went fine. I then delete the directy
<<
<<
<<structure on the HD, en start a restore. The restore looks ok but I ha
<<no NTFS security anymore.....
<<If I choose a different location it workes ok and NTFS security is
<<estored  as well. I even booted the system after the backup and starte
<<a restore, same failure.
<<Is this a bug ?

>>The way restore is currently designed file permissions are always
>>restored, but directory permissions are only restored when using the
>>Restore Subdirectory Branch function in the GUI client or by using the
>>SUBDIR=Y option in the cmd line client.

I have SUBDIR=Y in my options or even on my command line. The problem is
that when I start the restore I dont have file or directory permissions
anymore, unless I use the Command line option or choose a different location
to restore from the GUI. ????

3.

<<When restoring a Registry, and I enable the option "Activate Key after
<<Restore"
<<he restore to the ADSM.SYS structure goes fine. It starts with
<< 'Restor
<<function invoked' en ends with 'Restore procesing finished' it then
<<starts the 'Registry Restore Function Invoked" and I get the following
<<error :
<<
<<Replace Registry Key: Rootkey 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', Subkey 'SOFTWARE'
<<ANS4436E An Error Occurred replacing the Key.
<<ANS4431E Registry Restore Function Failed.

>>This means that error occurred placing the restored registry online,
>>which could be caused for a number different reasons.

>>After you have restored and activated a key, the system must be rebooted
>>for the changes to take effect, and any subsequent attempts to activate
>>the key before rebooting will cause the above error to occur.

>>The error could also occur if the account performing the restore doesn't
>>have the required authority/privilege to replace the key.

>>If you run a trace with the NTREGISTRY trace flag and send me the result
>>I should be able to tell exactly why the error is occurring.

I just enable the option 'Activate Key' and then start the restore, the last
message is the above error. Does this means I always get this error at last
??? So your suggesting that I reboot after this message and then everything
is ok ?
I will make a trace and post it later.

<< Then there is a file backup problem which a haven't figured out  how
<< exclude. When a MAC user uses the NT server I see sometimes files wit
<< the name 'ICON? ' which ADSM has problem with. I cannot exclude them
<< How come ???
<<When I look at the file through the Explorer the name is something lik
<<
<<
<< "ICON| ".
<<
<<SEE BELOW:
<<
<<DSMERROR.LOG
<<
<<
<<12/08/1996 23:02:52  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Access to NTFS file security
information denied, file/dir skipped ***
<<2/08/1996 23:02:52  FioGetOneDirEntry(): *** Skipping Invalid filename:
'F:\Data\TW\ICON?'

>>The problem is that this file is a Macintosh file created on a Services
>>for Macintosh Volume.

>>Mac file/folder names contain characters which have no mapping in the
>>NT NTFS/FAT namespace so the Services for Macintosh code remaps them
>>to a private application specific area in Unicode.

>>These files may only be accessed by Unicode enabled applications
>>(ADSM currently isn't), and even Unicode enabled applications cannot
>>display them properly since there is no mapping to in the file system
>>namespace.

>>Since ADSM isn't Unicode enabled these files must be filtered out while
>>obtaining the list of files from the file system.

>>Support for Services for Macintosh should be available in version 3.

>>For now you should exclude any SFM directories.

I understand, but I can't exclude the file explicit,  The name given in the
error log is ICON? (see above, but the name i see under explorer is 'ICON_'
, a 0 byte file. I can exclude ICON*.* but then all names starting with
ICON*.* will be excluded...?

TIA,
Guido Rovers
System Administrator