ADSM-L

Re: Archive from an NFS mounted file system

1997-01-10 06:46:32
Subject: Re: Archive from an NFS mounted file system
From: Matthias Morche <morche AT CSD DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:46:32 +0100
Price, Robert R. wrote:

> I am trying to archive a file that is NFS mounted read-only to an ADSM
> client.
> Both the ADSM client and the owner of the NFS mounted filesystem are
> SGI.
>
> When I do the archive, or even a selected backup, I get the error
> message:
>
>    ANS4253W File input/output error
>
> I can access the file okay via "file" or "more".
>
> Has anyone else done something similar.
> Is there something I am doing that is not permissible by ADSM?
>
> Bob Price
>
> Westinghouse I & T Information Systems
> 11 Stanwix Street
> Pittsburgh, PA 15222
>
> Email:   pricerr AT westinghouse DOT com
> Voice:   (412) 642-3634, (WIN) 272-3634
> FAX:     (412) 642-3929, (WIN) 272-3929

That sounds to me as a problem of user permissions. Did You export it
with root=backuphost in /etc/exports? If not, root (uid == 0, typically
dsmc is run as root) is mapped to anon (uid == -2) when accessing that
filesystem, but an ordinary user (uid != 0) does have ordinary access.

--
                                        Matthias Morche (mailto:morche AT csd
DOT de)
                                        Matthias Morche (mailto:morche AT csd