ADSM-L

ADSM Performance question

1997-01-09 10:39:12
Subject: ADSM Performance question
From: Robinson Barton <BARTON AT IBM.CL.MSU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:39:12 EST
I had asked ADSM developement for performance data to
be built into ADSM for VM, this was my response:

>Date: Thu, 3 Oct 96 13:23:34 PDT
>From: "Dave Crockett" <crockett AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
>To:   barton AT ibm.cl.msu DOT edu
>Subject: adsm on VM
>You ask, "What are the chances that ADSM on VM can create monitor records?"
>Honestly, the chances are not good, since this would be a VM-specific
>effort, which doesn't benifit the other server platforms.  These type
>of requirements are harder to sell and need a good business case.
>So....I think that would be the answer if a former requirement was
>submitted.
>Dave Crockett

Maybe you folks would want to submit a formal
requirement???

>From:    Leonard Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
>Subject: Re: ADSM on MVS
>
>>>1) I got an ANR0132E (memory allocation failed) and would like to
>>>   increase my region parm on the started task from 40M to something.
>>>   Has anyone played around with and increased that?  To what?
>>>   (My bufpoolsize is 3072, logpoolsize is 1024, maxsess is 100)
>>
>>The minimum recommended region size is 128 MB (REGION=128M) for an MVS
>>server. It used to be 40 MB, but we found that that was just too small
>>for anything but a startup installation.
>>
>>Andy Raibeck
>>ADSM Level 2 Support
>
>Hello Andy
>
>The above response brings to mind a whole set of new questions.
>For example what is the minimum recommended virtual machine size on
>a VM system? I would assume that since mvs and vm are mostly the same
>code that they would be the same.
>
>We are running a 31meg virtual machine with a bufpoolsize of 4096
>and logpoolsize of 2048 and a maxsession limit of 35. This is a vm
>version 1 server running on a 3090/400s machine. Before the answer
>above I did not think that we were running a server at a restricted
>size, but now?
>
>What are the trade off in decreasing or increasing the size? This
>answer is clear where one gets a message ANR0132E but not otherwise.
>I would assume that cpu size, real memory/paging subsys size,
>number of concurrent sessions, tcpbuffersize, txnbytelimit, etc
>would all have an effect.
>
>For the db and log buffer we can issue the query db or query log commands
>to ascertain how well we sized the buffers. (Our db at this time has a
>cache hit of 97.92)
>
>What tools if any exist to properly size the region/virtual machine size?
>
>len

>Leonard Boyle, Mainframe support            snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
>SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
>Room E206                                   (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
>203 SAS Campus Drive
>Cary NC 27513

"If you can't measure it, I'm Just NOT interested!"

Barton Robinson           IBMMAIL:  I1002452
Velocity Software, Inc    Internet: BARTON @ MSU.EDU
1242 Wasatch Drive        Phone:    415-964-8867
Mountain View, CA 94040   Fax:      415-964-9012

VM Performance Hotline:   415-964-8867