ADSM-L

Re: HSM for NT?

1997-01-09 08:45:15
Subject: Re: HSM for NT?
From: Andy Raibeck <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 05:45:15 PST
Eric van Loon writes:

>Tim,
>I dare to disagree, Wang support specifically told me a Netware server serves
>as a HSM server and IS required!
>Kindest regards,
>Eric van Loon
>
>----------
>From: Tim Mortimer
>To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
>Subject:      Re: HSM for NT?
>Date: Wednesday, December 13, 1995 16:18

>There seems to be some confusion about this. The Open/STOR HSM server
>runs on either an NT workstation or server, Ver 3.51/4.0. It can manage
>NTFS volumes on other NT workstations and servers. The product evolved
>from the AvailHSM NetWare product and works in basically the same way.
>But there is no requirement for a NetWare server to run it.
>
>Cheers,
>Tim Mortimer
>ITSO San Jose

Eric,

I checked Wang's home page (http://www.wang.com) and couldn't find anything
that indicates a NetWare server is required to run Open/STOR. In particular,
web page http://www.wang.com/sbu/smg/osdata.htm provides a data sheet on
Open/STOR, and nowhere does it mention NetWare as a requirement. My guess is
that they've written code that makes ADSM look like a tape device; I can't
imagine why they'd need a NetWare server to do this.

While I am not knowledgeable about Open/STOR, it might be worthwhile to give
Wang another call and talk to a marketing rep to confirm this. Maybe the
support person you spoke to thought you were talking about AvailHSM, which is
their NetWare product.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2 Support