ADSM-L

client restarts

1997-01-07 14:46:55
Subject: client restarts
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:46:55 PST
Dave Sanders asked about client backup restarts...

Currently, when the adsm client session ends, all its buffers are
released...thus if a backup is restarted...it has to start from the
beginning.  We are working on improvements to this...they may come
in a couple phases over the next couple client releases of adsm.  One phase
will make the adsm client more tolerant of network errors/timeouts/etc...
thus allowing the session with the server to remain through more network/
communications troubles.  Another phase may allow session information
(eg, client tables built up) to persist across client sessions...this
phase may be further out, but we are looking at it.  There are no set
dates for these functions but this is part of what we are working on.

...greg tevis

I have a large number of files in a directory that takes around 55 minutes
to sort before it begins the ADSM transfer.  During that time, the timeout
pop occurs.  If I have the restart window large enough to accomodate the
restart for this server, does it have to reanalyze/sort the entries prior
to transferring or will it just "take off" with the previous sorted entry
list??