ADSM-L

Re: off site tape management

1997-01-07 12:56:00
Subject: Re: off site tape management
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT IS1.INDY.TCE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 12:56:00 EST
I assume you're talking about off-site storage of tapes for disaster
recovery.  We'll be going production this week with our system using ADSM.
 Our data center already has procedures in place for our mainframe data
where there are 3 sets of carts containing disaster backup tapes, so we
decided to conform to this.  Using 3 sets of backup tapes means at least one
set is offsite at all times (when the oldest set is being returned and
they're picking up the most recent set they are both onsite, of course).  We
have 3 copypools in which we've defined volumes (3590's) and we rotate
between the 3 for the 'backup stgpool' commands.  We decided to not use
scratch tapes because the operators prefer to not have to pull tapes.  They
simply take the cases containing the ADSM tapes out of the carts, mount the
ones that are called for, put the tapes back into the cases and the cases
back into the carts.

We don't have a tape library, so this works well for us since it doesn't
require the operators to know which tapes are scratch or to then pull the
appropriate tapes to put them in the cart for offsite storage.  If you still
want to use scratch tapes or you don't want to set aside groups of tapes
(and monitor them to see when you need to add more), then I would recommend
you purchase DRM (Disaster Recovery Manager).  That makes it much easier to
track the tapes with commands that are provided just for that.

I would be interested to hear how other people do it to see if we can find a
better way, although this appears to be working fine so far.

Tina Hilton
Thomson Consumer Electronics