ADSM-L

Re: disk pool space reserved for compressed data

1997-01-07 12:07:59
Subject: Re: disk pool space reserved for compressed data
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:07:59 -0600
Item Subject: disk pool space reserved for compressed data
     I am truely shocked here... I would have thought, seeing how this is
     comming from IBM that the answer would be "purchase more disks" and
     the shame of it is I would agree....   I'm running three adsm
     environments and building two more and on each I've plopped down 200GB
     disk pools... YES, I do back up a large SAP DB as a matter of fact
     with the test, quality, training, and on and on... SAP regions I
     backup about 10 large SAP DB's... and a whole bunch of other
     servers...  I don't know any details here but if they are only backing
     up one SAP DB I would say they aren't taking advantage of ADSM and
     they sould buy enough dasd to cover their main need and then expand
     ADSM's use to other machines to take advantage of the resources....
     That's pretty much how I've ended up where I am today... started with
     covering a need (our limit was time only... not $$$'s) once SAP's
     needs were met it was no problem filling the spare time on the server
     by backing up other machines... then the other backups went so well
     that node admin's wanted to switch more of their nodes to adsm and we
     max'ed out that environment... which brought us to new adsm
     environments... which spread the word of adsm further... and on and on
     to 5 servers, 4 ATL's, bunch of 3590's, and a whole bunch of disks...
     Nothing is going to waste....
     later
          Dwight